I am excited the announce the 2009 Clemson Summer Conference on Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and the Moral Foundations of Capitalism. This event is a three-day workshop for college students. Students attend lectures, participate in small group discussions, and have free time to discuss and debate the ideas presented in the formal sessions. Throughout the three days of sessions, students have ample opportunity to speak one-on-one with faculty and ask them questions in a more informal setting.
The conference will be held on May 29th - May 31st. Students will arrive on Thursday, May 28th and will depart on Monday, June 1st. Please note that full scholarships are available to conference attendees. Graduate students are also invited to apply (I attended as a graduate student) but preference for scholarships will be given to undergraduates.
This year's faculty includes four Ayn Rand Institute intellectuals:
* Dr. Andrew Bernstein (Professor at Marist College)
* Dr. Eric Daniels (Professor at Clemson University)
* Dr. Onkar Ghate (Dean of Objectivist Academic Center)
* Dr. Brad Thompson (Professor at Clemson University)
* a to-be-announced expert on economics.
The tentative schedule includes:
* Individual Rights, Law and Capitalism (3-day class)
* Ethics and Capitalism (3-day class)
* Economics of Capitalism (3-day class)
* History of Capitalism (2-day class)
* Group discussions on Atlas Shrugged
* Roundtable discussion on Capitalism
Please note that the deadline to apply is in March 5th.
Speaking from personal experience, I think this conference is a wonderful opportunity to enhance one's understanding of the philosophy of Ayn Rand as well as on the proper moral defense of laissez-faire capitalism. Even those of you who are already well-read on Objectivism will find this conference very beneficial. In addition to the educational benefits, you will have three days to interact with the faculty as well as have the opportunity to make several new friends who share your values.
You can learn more about the conference, including how to apply, here: http://business.clemson.edu/BBTCENTER/cci/conferences.html