Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Motto for America

At the Freakonomics blog, Stephen Dubner challenges readers to compose a six word national motto for the United States [Hat tip: LGF]. Given that this is a New York Times blog, the vast majority of submissions have been resoundingly negative and snide. I say to hell with that. Since I actually love my country and its harvest of virtues, I opt for a resounding affirmative and aspirational motto. Here is my submission:

"In Independence We Find Our Strength"

What would your motto for America be?


Greg said...

Scooped! (This caught my attention, too, and I put it in Noodlefood's queue last night for publication Some Time. :^)

Here are my entries:

“Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness.”

“Founded on the concept of freedom.”

“Best and last hope of humanity.”

Jack Galt said...

All good ideas to replace "In God We Trust," which is inappropriate at best and dishonest at worst. Here's my contribution:

In Liberty, Prosperity; In Justice, Peace

With Liberty and Justice for All

Pioneers in Liberty, Stalwarts in Justice

And being a great admirer of Ed Cline (and shamelessly breaking the six word rule):

Fiat Lux!

Ryan said...

I love this idea:

"For Truth, For Justice, For Liberty"