Friday, February 15, 2008

Berkeley Postscript


When I went to Berkeley the day after the City Council meeting to visit the Marine Recruiting station, I also stopped by the site of the protest the night before. There I found the ashes of the American flag that had been burned by the leftist radicals in protest. As I sifted through the dirt to properly dispose of the melted bits that remained, I found four stars, singed, yes, but still stars nonetheless. I think these stars serve as a poignant reminder of our efforts to defend the Constitution and our republic against the mindless.

One star will go to Joe Smet, a Marine veteran who worked tirelessly to promote the petition far and wide.

One star will go to Gerald Humphrey, another fellow Marine veteran who stood alongside me when I was at Berkeley.

One star will go to the Marine Recruiting Station, where today's Marines stand in defense of our Constitution and the American way of life. When I visited with them, they were unequivocal: "We are open for business and we will continue to be."

And the last star will go to me, as a personal memento of my efforts and as a symbol of the special trust that so many people chose to put in me as I worked to represent their views.

While there is still work to do, the Berkeley City Council has retreated from its most egregious folly. It still offends, yet it no longer offends the Constitution. Had we not all come together to speak in protest, I doubt that we would have seen this result.

We kept the trust. Semper Fi.

7 comments:

Gideon said...

My compliments to you Nick for your integrity and dedication to principles and for a job well done!

Franklin said...

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, and the US Coast Guard are the five fingers of the hand that holds the sword that defends and protects this country. Thank you for helping keep the hand strong.

Franklin

Anonymous said...

I'm Honored Nick. When I seen your post. I was overwheled and started to shake and tears came to my eyes. This gift means the world to me. It will be among my most treasured possessions. Semper Fi
Joe Smet USMC 68-71

Mike N said...

Congratulations to you and thanks for a job well done.

Anonymous said...

Four stars--wow. Such beautiful prose, Nick. The Marines are lucky to have you on their side.

Anonymous said...

Well done! I'm a bit confused by the lack of coverage. I heard reports of the start of this - on NPR, FNC and such. But nothing about it being turned around.

Looks like a new battle - Toledo:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080216/NEWS16/802160379

Lisa said...

Thank you.