Saturday, November 11, 2006

Veterans Day Pride

According to this report, Secretary of Veterans Affairs R. James Nicholson has asked veterans to wear their medals today in honor of Veterans Day. This is an excellent idea, and below are mine. I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1988 and served until 1993, obtaining the rank of Corporal. I served at sea in the Mediterranean during Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm and Provide Comfort, and I also served aboard the American embassy in Monrovia, Liberia during the Liberian civil war.

My medals, ribbons and badges are (left to right, top to bottom):

  • Joint Meritorious Unit Award (A unit award given to 26 MEU for its work in Liberia)
  • Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal (Awarded to me for not getting busted for 3 years)
  • Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal (Awarded to all who served with 26 MEU in Liberia)
  • National Defense Service Medal (Awarded to all who served in the armed forces during the first Gulf War)
  • Southwest Asia Service Medal with Star (Awarded to all who served in the area around Iraq, Kuwait, Turkey and Israel during the first Gulf War.)
  • Navy Sea Service Deployment (x2) (Awarded for 2 six months+ sea duty.)
  • Marine Corps Rifle Expert Badge (x2)
  • Marine Corps Pistol Expert Badge
I am proud of time with the Marines. I saw the world, learned a bit about how to be a leader from some of the best, and stood arm-in-arm with those who love their freedom and will not stand to see it sacrificed. And I have always loved Veterans Day, especially now that it is my day. To all my fellow veterans, may you also enjoy your day.


Blair said...


Thank you, and congratulations. Happy Veterans Day!

Ed Cline said...

Many of my Sparrowhawk prospects at booksignings are military. I can usually tell if they're active military or vets. Today at Colonial Williamsburg, all vets, active or retired, are being given free passes to the whole historic area. I usually ask prospects which service they hail from, and shake their hands. Many of them are on their way to Iraq, Afghanitstan, or to carrier or destroyer duty. When I tell them about Sparrowhawk, their eyes light up and more often than not ask me to sign whole sets of the series. Most of these prospects are Marines, from grunts on up to officers. They don't mind that I'm ex-Air Force.

Ed Cline