Thursday, March 09, 2006

A Vicar stands for justice

Dr. Michael Hurd writes on this story at the Daily Dose of Reason:

I have more good news for you, coming out of Europe. Reuters of London reports that a British vicar whose daughter was killed in last year’s London suicide bombings has stepped down from her parish role, saying she cannot and does not want to forgive the killers.

"I rage that a human being could choose to take another human being’s life," the Rev. Julie Nicholson told a regional BBC program. "I rage that someone should do this in the name of a God. I find that utterly offensive. Can I forgive them for what they did? No, I cannot. And I don’t wish to. I believe that there are some things in life which are unforgivable by the human spirit."

Her associates in the church are trying to soft-pedal it, but her words sound clear as a bell to me. Terrorism is evil and wrong. There's no reason whatsoever to forgive it. Christianity is, therefore, wrong in preaching that forgiveness is a virtue.
Amen, and I hope Nicholson is able to find solace in a sense of justice that says the good is never served by kissing the ring of the wicked.

And I wish Nicholson more than that. I wish that no mother ever has to find herself wrought with pain over the death of a murdered innocent. I wish that the institutions that exist to protect against such outrages act with a swiftness and sense of purpose the finally destroys the enemy and his ability to project force. And I wish that after that last jihad has collapsed, that men and women can live together in goodwill, happy in the knowledge their right to live by their own mind and for their own stake will never be challenged by others again.

No comments: