Sunday, January 25, 2004

The Culture: American Mobility

Below is a fun application that allows you to make a visual representation of everywhere you have traveled in the US. By my count, I've been to 37 of the 50 states, most on road trips.

create your own visited states map

On one hand, it's amazing that at 34, I've seen so much of America. On the other hand, since there is simply so much to see, I wonder if I could ever truly clam to have seen all that makes up the soul of America.

Yet what I think is most incredible is when one considers when America was founded, years ago, our forefathers feared that there would be insufficient communication between the states to bind the union together. In his will, Washington left a portion of his estate to what later became George Washington University for the sole purpose of creating an institution where students from all across America could leave their regional prejudices behind and study together under a common banner.

Now, 200 years later, a young man can visit almost two-thirds the nation and do so on a meager budget. In many ways, America is an amazing nation.

No comments: