Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Our Favorites: Dr. Michael Hurd

I greatly enjoy the insight of Dr. Michael Hurd and his "Daily Dose of Reason". Here is a gem that fits perfectly with the EPA story below.

"I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean."

So says a popular song. The implication, clear from the rest of the song, is that man should feel in awe of nature, because nature is far superior to anything human beings can generate.

I don't know about you, but I actually feel tall when I stand beside the ocean.

I feel tall because I belong to the human race, and I know that the human race can sail great ships, even aircraft carriers, on the ocean; I know that gigantic jetliners cross the ocean in the sky; I know the human race can develop sophisticated underwater cameras to photograph century-old shipwrecks with the clarity of a family portrait; I also know that the human race can build wonderful hotels and condominiums, not to mention candy popcorn and salt water taffy stands, to allow human beings to relax and enjoy the wonderful ocean air and sounds.

I feel tall beside the ocean because I am human, and humans can navigate, master and enjoy the ocean better than any fish, whale or bird ever could.

Many look at the ocean and exclaim how tiny they are. I look at the ocean and marvel at how great it is to be human.

No comments: