Friday, July 25, 2003

The Culture: All the Propaganda that's Fit to Print

Reuters loves feet of clay, especially if they are American. I remember reading this in a Reuters story earlier this week:

"Jessica Lynch, the wounded Army private whose ordeal in Iraq was hyped into a media fiction of U.S. heroism, was set for an emotional homecoming on Tuesday . . . Media critics say the TV cameras will not show the return of an injured soldier so much as a reality-TV drama co-produced by U.S. government propaganda and credulous reporters."
Thing is, the bylined reporter didn't write that in her story. Deanna Wrenn, a statehouse reporter for the Charleston Daily Mail, says the story she submitted to Reuters was vastly different.

I would like to make it abundantly clear that somebody at Reuters wrote the story, not me.

I may not be a member of the world's largest multi-media news agency, but I learned at West Virginia University how to report fairly, which is what I thought I was doing for Reuters last week.

Apparently, when Reuters asked me last week if they could use my byline, they weren't talking about the story I wrote for them last week. They were talking about a story I never wrote.

That was the misunderstanding.

By the way, I asked Reuters to remove my byline. They didn't.
Read the rest of Wrenn's column which included the story she actually reported to Reuters.

No comments: