Thursday, May 08, 2003

But I love America, and what it has done to the rest of the world

Margaret Drabble hates America and "what it has done to the rest of the world" because, among other things, our warplanes have shark teeth painted on them. I, for one, like the shark teeth, which I'm pretty sure go all the way back to the Flying Tigers. They say to me, "screw with the US, and we're going to bite you in the posterior."

That's not the best part though--it gets even better.
"I detest American imperialism, American infantilism, and American triumphalism about victories it didn't even win.

On April 29, 2000, I switched on CNN in my hotel room and, by chance, saw an item designed to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam war. The camera showed us a street scene in which a shabby elderly Vietnamese man was seen speaking English and bartering in dollars in a city that I took to be Ho Chi Minh City, still familiarly known in America by its old French colonial name of Saigon.

"The language of Shakespeare," the commentator intoned, "has conquered Vietnam." I did not note down the dialogue, though I can vouch for that sentence about the language of Shakespeare. But the word "dollar" was certainly repeated several times, and the implications of what the camera showed were clear enough.

The elderly Vietnamese man was impoverished, and he wanted hard currency. The Vietnamese had won the war, but had lost the peace.
Somebody please hand this poor pathetic woman a hankie.

No comments: